The Dangote Group is a diversified conglomerate headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria, and owned by Aliko Dangote, Africa’s richest person. Established in 1981, the group has grown into one of the largest and most successful businesses in Africa, with operations spanning multiple sectors including cement manufacturing, sugar refining, flour milling, salt processing, oil and gas, real estate, and telecommunications.
The flagship company of the group is Dangote Cement, which is the largest cement producer in Africa. With operations in several African countries including Nigeria, Ethiopia, Senegal, Tanzania, South Africa, and Zambia, Dangote Cement has played a pivotal role in infrastructure development across the continent.
Apart from cement manufacturing, the Dangote Group is also heavily involved in the production of sugar. The group’s sugar refining business operates under the subsidiary Dangote Sugar Refinery, which is one of the leading sugar producers in Nigeria and has a significant presence in other African countries as well.
In addition to cement and sugar, the Dangote Group has a strong presence in the flour milling industry through its subsidiary Dangote Flour Mills. The company produces a wide range of flour products that cater to both domestic and industrial markets.
Furthermore, the Dangote Group is engaged in salt processing through its subsidiary Dangote Salt, which is one of the largest salt producers in Nigeria.
In the oil and gas sector, the group operates Dangote Oil Refinery, which is currently under construction in Lagos, Nigeria. Once completed, it is expected to be one of the largest oil refineries in the world, with a capacity to refine 650,000 barrels of crude oil per day.
The Dangote Group has also ventured into the real estate sector through its subsidiary Dangote Industries Limited, which is involved in the development of residential, commercial, and industrial properties across Nigeria.
Moreover, the group has diversified its business interests by entering the telecommunications industry through its subsidiary Dangote Group Telecoms Limited. While this sector is still in its early stages, the group has ambitious plans to expand its presence in the telecommunications market.
Overall, the Dangote Group’s success can be attributed to its visionary leadership, strategic investments, and commitment to excellence. By leveraging its strengths in various sectors, the group has established itself as a powerhouse in the African business landscape and continues to drive economic growth and development across the continent.
Divisions of Dangote Group
- Dangote Cement PLC: Dangote Cement is the largest cement producer in Africa, with operations in several countries across the continent. The company operates cement plants in Nigeria, Ethiopia, Zambia, Tanzania, Senegal, South Africa, Congo, and Ghana. Dangote Cement is known for its high-quality cement products and has contributed significantly to infrastructure development in Africa.
- Dangote Sugar Refinery PLC: Dangote Sugar Refinery is the leading sugar producer in Nigeria, with a refining capacity of over 1.44 million tonnes per annum. The company operates sugar refineries in Apapa, Lagos State, and Numan, Adamawa State. Dangote Sugar Refinery plays a crucial role in meeting Nigeria’s sugar demand and reducing the country’s reliance on sugar imports.
- Dangote Flour Mills PLC: Dangote Flour Mills is one of Nigeria’s largest flour milling companies, producing a wide range of wheat-based products such as flour, pasta, and noodles. The company operates flour mills in strategic locations across Nigeria, including Lagos, Kano, Calabar, and Ilorin. Dangote Flour Mills is committed to providing high-quality and affordable food products to consumers.
- Dangote Agro Sacks Limited: Dangote Agro Sacks Limited specializes in the production of woven polypropylene sacks used for packaging agricultural products such as grains, cereals, and fertilizers. The company operates manufacturing facilities in Lagos and Kano, Nigeria, and serves the agricultural sector by providing reliable and durable packaging solutions.
- Dangote Pasta PLC: Dangote Pasta is a leading pasta manufacturer in Nigeria, producing a variety of pasta products under the popular brand names “Dangote Pasta” and “Eva.” The company’s manufacturing facility is located in Ikorodu, Lagos State, and utilizes state-of-the-art equipment to ensure the highest quality standards.
- Dangote Salt Refinery: Dangote Salt Refinery is Nigeria’s largest salt producer, with a production capacity of over 1.5 million tonnes per annum. The company’s salt refinery is located in Apapa, Lagos State, and utilizes modern technology to produce iodized table salt, industrial salt, and other salt-related products.
- Dangote Fertilizer Limited: Dangote Fertilizer Limited is set to become one of the largest fertilizer producers in Africa upon completion of its fertilizer plant in Lekki, Lagos State. The plant, which is expected to commence operations soon, will produce urea and ammonia fertilizer products to support agricultural development and food security in Nigeria and beyond.
- Dangote Oil Refinery: Dangote Oil Refinery, currently under construction in the Lekki Free Trade Zone, Lagos State, is set to be the largest single-train refinery in the world upon completion. With a refining capacity of 650,000 barrels per day, the refinery will produce various petroleum products, including gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, and petrochemicals, to meet domestic and international demand.
- Dangote Petroleum Refinery Petrochemicals: Dangote Petroleum Refinery Petrochemicals is a subsidiary of Dangote Industries Limited responsible for the production of petrochemical products such as polypropylene and polyethylene. The company’s petrochemical complex, located within the Dangote Oil Refinery complex in Lagos State, will support Nigeria’s industrialization efforts by providing essential raw materials for various industries.
- Dangote Gas Pipeline: Dangote Gas Pipeline is a subsidiary of the Dangote Group involved in the construction and operation of natural gas pipelines and infrastructure. The company’s gas pipeline projects aim to supply natural gas to industries, power plants, and households, thereby contributing to energy security and economic development in Nigeria and beyond.
These subsidiaries collectively reflect the Dangote Group’s commitment to driving economic growth, creating employment opportunities, and fostering development across Africa. Through its diverse portfolio of businesses, the Dangote Group continues to play a pivotal role in shaping the continent’s industrial landscape and empowering communities.